I’ve done a How to on Male Grooming before but that was quite a few years ago so i thought why not do a new updated version just to see how much has changed in terms of the products i use and the knowledge i now have.
To get started first we have to prep the skin we need a good base to work on, Start with cleansing your skin i really like using the Embryolisse Lotion Micellaire. Embryolisse is great for sensitive skin, contains no parabens and just because it’s good on sensitive skin doesn’t mean it compromises in removing power, i’ve even used this to remove waterproof mascara which comes off first time! Apply this all over the face using a cotton pad.
The next step is the use of an exfoliator i feel these are really important because they to scrub off the dead skin cells and if you have dry skin they are particularly useful. I love using the Kiehl’s Epidermal Re-Texturizing Micro-Dermabrasion which i only use once a week because it’s so intense. This one is particularly good because it helps to make your skin significantly smoother and clearer, it also helps to reduce the appearance of facial lines and discolorations. This next step is optional but i use Hydraluron by Indeed Labs which helps to add moisture to the skin because this contains a pure form of hyaluronic acid, an incredibly hydrating ingredient that holds up to 1,000 times its weight in water, in essence it basically super charge your moisturiser. Next we use our eye cream im loving the Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar Eye which contains the clinically-proven, non-stop skin renewal technology that continuously hydrates, brightens dark circles, reduces puffiness and smoothes the look of fine lines. You know its funny it really is renewed hope because i have quite puffy under eyes which i hate and this just seems to smooth everything down while adding moisture back into my skin.
Finally you use your moisturiser, what ever one you want sometimes i like to use the Origins Ginzing Moisturiser which i just reviewed in one of my most recent blog posts (Click here)
This next step is done before you even think about putting any makeup on. Above you’ll see three types of primers. Think of primers as a something you use to prep a canvas which in this case is your skin. Primers come in many different forms such as extending the wear of your makeup, they can shrink pores, Hydrate, hide fine lines and some even contain SPF. I usually switch between the 3 you see above when doing male makeup, Illamasqua Matte Veil, Skindinavia Makeup Primer Spray, Daniel Sandler Retexturising Primer.
Now on to makeup, we dont want anything heavy or noticeable we just want something that will correct the skin things like acne, dark circles, and if you want to accentuate our features.
- Apply Smashbox BB Eye Cream under your eyes and blend out
- Apply your concealer (Clarins Instant Concealer) where you need it for blemishes around your face
- Use Tweezerman Brow Mousse to groom your brows you just want them to look like they have some shape and do the same to your lashes after curling them (curling your lashes is optional, i just like the look of lashes it really opens up your eyes). If you have sparse brows you can use Benefit Gimme Brow instead of Brow Mousse this will give you some shape and colour as Gimme Brow contains brow building fibres
- Set the concealer under your eyes with the Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder so it stays in place
- Apply a flesh coloured pencil into your waterline this will cancel the red tones and make you look more awake i tend to use either the Urban Decay 24-7 Waterliner in Walk of Shame or the NYX Wonder Pencil
- Finish off with a lip balm that doesn’t have shimmer or shine (Dr PawPaw Original Balm)
When everything is blended out you should have something like the below image, that’s you completed your male grooming. It might seem like a lot of steps but the results are worth it and can really change your face for the best. If you do it right you will look fantastically groomed and people won’t even know you’re wearing makeup.
As you can see my face looks a lot more even not as red and the puffiness is gone and my eyes look a lot brighter and the best thing is it doesnt even look like im wearing makeup its just about selecting the right products and not using to much of them